A streetdeal Singapore spokesperson said, "Premium charges are clearly stated twice on the payment page, first in the offer itself, second in the legal T&Cs right before customer confirm their purchase. Customers might not pay attention to the offer when they purchase a deal; at no moment the offer is misleading. They can unsubscribe without any charge in one simple click in their account. If you require a refund, no questions will be asked we will process refund within seven working days".
Let us judge for ourselves, okay.
- First, for the promotions, there are the premium only and usual promotions (such as Gucci Key holder)
- At the payment page, the spokesperson claimed that the "Premium charges are clearly stated twice on the payment page" (where the heck was this or these indicated on the payment page???? Oh, the checked box stating Premium membership $88 quarterly (hmm...12mo/4 = 3 months; or ~$33/mo).
- At the payment confirmation page, there are the general and membership T&C (but there isn't any indication of what I'm confirming to, except perhaps for payment to the price listed, especially if I might once in hundredth occasion forgotten to uncheck the subscription!!!!!). There should be a pop-up to remind users that they will be charged membership fee once confirmed, especially when users might accidentally forgot to uncheck the default OPT-IN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cheap stunt.
- I've read the general T&C (it's approximately 10 pages in Times Roman New 12 point font in A4 size). The summary is the usual:
- Intro and definitions (standard)
- Personal Data Protection Act
- Exoneration/limitation of liabilities/Disclaimer of warranty
- Self protection regarding copyrights and trademarks
- Compliant to Rules and Procedures established by SIAC ("Rules and Procedures") within Singapore Arbitration Act
- Streetdeal as agent, not merchant of "goods or services".
- Streetdeal member subscription linked to other page.
- I've read the member subscription T&C and have several comments
- Automatic renewal ((fees incurred)): You agree that StreetDeal will not provide You with any notices prior to each renewal payment ((charge you for membership fee)). You must cancel the Services before the renewal date to avoid being billed for the renewal ((can be done at My Account page)). This is completely UNTRUE, StreetDeal should remind subscribers to OPT-OUT especially if the SUBSCRIBER had no idea HE/SHE was accidental subscriber. The ONUS should not be placed on users solely (especially considering that no reminder/confirmation was given regarding CHARGED membership subscription during checkout payments (unless email was sent to notify consumers, all else is void). Let us try to remember the cheap tactic to charge unsolicited credit card to users for membership fees for failure to opt-out of the service...... nostalgia?
- Trial period offers ((after which fees incurred)): If you are taking part in any trial-period offer, you must cancel the Services by the end of the trial period to avoid incurring new charges, unless we notify you otherwise. If you do not cancel your Services at the end of the trial period, we may charge you for the Services ((according to CONSUMER PROTECTION (FAIR TRADING) (OPT-OUT PRACTICES) REGULATIONS 2009, Streetdeal should remind subscribers to OPT-OUT at least a week before they start charging users. In other words, users should be given sufficient time to OPT-OUT...........)).
- Premium charges are clearly stated twice on the payment page, first in the offer itself (but not very clear to me on the non-premium offers with default check-in box for subscription), second in the legal T&Cs right before customer confirm their purchase. I disagree, the premium charge is inconspicuous to me and I'm not sure of what I'm confirming myself into except for the payment for the price of the item (there is no reminder if I had forgotten to uncheck the automatic opt-in TRAP). Imaging one time failure to remember to uncheck the "auto opt-in membership" on my hundredth and one-th transaction (pull hair and bite toenails).
- Customers might not pay attention to the offer when they purchase a deal; at no moment the offer is misleading. I disagree, the offer is not intuitive and although it's not "misleading", it is not "leading" as well, i.e. not easy to comprehend or understand what most users are getting themselves into, sometimes by accident/forgetfulness to the opt-in TRAP.
- They can unsubscribe without any charge in one simple click in their account. Most shitty spams and unsolicited services can be unsubscribed too. To prevent bad feelings, good companies always ensure that there isn't any accidental subscribers by providing sufficient warning popups notifying users of extra charges prior to proceeding to payment.
- If you require a refund, no questions will be asked we will process refund within seven working days. I hope it's as breezy as accidentally having to pay for it in the first place.
To StreetDeal, your promotional items are good. But remember that your greatest assets are your HAPPY USERS. If 5% of your users are unhappy and growing each month, soon, you will have more than 5% unhappy users. Once your assets are leaving, don't hit yourself on the head for being stupid and greedy.