Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Is it going to the news tomorrow - M1 service disruption for a day?

Not sure if I am the only one experiencing M1 broadband service disruption. Anyway, if I am not the only one, then most probably the service disruption will be in the news tomorrow?

I can't wait to find out today, so, I decided to tether Singtel data-plan on my phone to my notebook and started investigating (easier to type on a notebook).

  • Keying in "M1 service disruption 2015" in Google returned this article from Straits Times "Five-hour service outage not M1's fault" (dated 7 Jan 2015). It was an old issue.
  • Next, I tried M1 on Facebook and the last update was 28 hours ago. That's a long time (or it could be a normal update frequency) but there is still no mention of service disruption.
M1 on Facebook with last update at 28 hours ago.
  • I tried to search for users' input at the sidebar (or rather side-column) and the last update by any user was around 18 hours ago. It still did not answer my question, "is M1 down?".
  • I tried to search for the service maintenance that M1 constantly send via email (which I promptly deleted because most of the time, it did not relate to me). Probably I missed out the announcement pertaining to service maintenance at my place. I went to M1 service announcement page. The fiber maintenance schedule and place weren't located close to my area. So, it is not possible that M1 is down due to maintenance.
  • I tried rebooting my router (with no luck) and I tried switching-off-and-on of the whole machine connected to my multi-socket plug (with no luck).
  • I give up and hope to get an answer tomorrow. I hope M1 will be able to cater to information-hungry consumer like me to know what went wrong today (from afternoon up today on 25 Feb 2015 until now at 12.15 am on 26 Feb 2015 and still counting in my sleep).
 Fortunately, I have a Singtel on my phone (capped at 2 Gb) when M1 is down to connect.

For those who aren't familiar with tethering and portable hotspot function, you can refer to this site or the following figure at the bottom.

How to convert your phone with data-plan into portable Wifi for your other devices. You can add security feature such as password to prevent other devices from connecting to your data-plan.

Just to share.

Update
Woke up this morning to try the connection and my router was still unable to connect to the internet. The WAN IP was 0.0.0.0 and attempt to renew the connection status returned "disconnected". There was a problem connecting to the M1 server.

Next thing I did was to go the the "fiber-optic modem thingy" (or indoor optical network terminal aka ONT), re-tighten all the cable connections, then switching off and then on the power button. Afterwards, I reboot my router via internet browser (key in "http://192.168.1.1/" in address bar) and waited for the good news. It worked.

Huawei ONT backpanel. I tried re-connect all cables and then press the Power button to switch off then on back again.


Well, I don't know if M1 was down or not yesterday, but the connection with M1 sure has it's ups and downs (most of the time) and sometimes, lost (in my case) without any way to know if M1 was down or my connection with M1 was down.

At least I know that if next time M1 is slow or lost, I will try to re-establish my ONT connection with M1 server by the above steps.


No comments:

Post a Comment